Saturday, April 4, 2009

Bumblebees and Their Ways


Another duo of books. I had an unsigned copy of 'Bumblebees...' when a signed copy came available while I was paying attention. I know that I paid nowhere near what I see these things are selling for now, signed and unsigned. Underneath the very sad paper cover, the signed version has a pristine hard cover. There are several colour book plates in this book. I am showing the one that was used as the cover and is inside the start of the book.





Signed cover is by far the nicest.





Signed version cover. It is sad.
The better (left) cover is the signed version
Sylvia's mother, Aurelia was integral in putting this book together


front flap

back flap

3 comments:

MrsTarquinBiscuitbarrel said...

From what I've read, Aurelia Plath was more than "integral," she essentially wrote the damned thing.

Laurie said...

Haha. I was trying to be diplomatic. It was my recollection from somewhere(?) that Aurelia should have at least been named: co-author. Glad to see you bring this up. I've pondered Aurelia's life quite a lot lately (due to getting some letters of her's from ebay and from the white-out saga) and have come to feel quite sorry for how difficult (and thankless) her life was. She wasn't perfect, but that 'effort=results' equation seemed to have passed her by.

ARABELLA JAMES said...

Hi there.
I am a student currently working on a promotional book to raise awareness for the plight of the bee, and would love to get my hands on this book, even if to just read a few excerpts. I have been unsuccessful with GoogleBooks, and on amazon/ebay. Can you suggest anything?
Many thanks,